This page was last updated on: November 30, 2006
one of Leverstock Green's Lost Properties.
Lost Properties
Logandene first appears cartographically on the 1924 3rd Edition 25” plan as shown above off Tile Kiln Lane, and approximately where Kendale is to be found today.  However, as Logandene was also known to be the property of the actor and film star Lyn Harding, and he decided to sell up in April of 1924, (see advert below) we can conclude that the house predates this time, and was in all probability either built especially for Mr. Harding, or if built speculatively, he was the first occupant.  We know Mr. Harding moved to Logandene sometime prior to February 1919, but no specific date is known.
With vacant possession
Leverstock Green, Herts
Messrs Broad & Patey will sell by auction at the London auction Mart 155 Queen Victoria St EC on Thursday May 8th 1924 the charming detached Country FREEHOLD RESIDENCE known as LOGANDENE, Bennetts End 2 ½ mils from Boxmoor Station & 4 miles from St. Albans.  It contains 5 bedrooms, bathroom (h & c) 3 reception rooms, excellent domestic offices, delightful pleasure grounds, orchard, paddock, lawn, small farmery, garage, all in about 5 acres.

The house was a typical mock Tudor dwelling of the early 20th century, set in spacious grounds.  We are fortunate to have several photographs of the house taken by the Hardings, and sent to me by Lyn Harding’s great-nephew.  These can be seen on the web-page, and suggest the house was enlarged at one stage:
The following month Broad & Patey held a further sale (see right).

There was no further comment made in the Gazette other than the presale advert of 10th May.  In the year 2005 such a sale of goods belonging to such a well-known personality would have attracted many memorabilia hunters.

Alfred Croker purchased Logandene from Lyn Harding, but he sold again to Dr. Sydney Herbert Lee in about 1932, and Dr Lee remained in residence until at least October 1852.  Both during the residences of Lyn Harding and that of Dr. Lee, the grounds of Logandene were regulaly used to stage major village events.  Perhaps the most spectacular being the Garden Fete staged there (literally in part on a specially erected stage) in August 1920, the aim of which was to raise funds for the building of a Parish Hall). The Garden fete was to include a variety of entertainments including a play The Constant Lover which had previously been performed in front of the King and Queen.  Lyn Harding had arranged that many of his fellow thespians from the West End would take part in the play, though in the end owing to the loss of their properties and costumes, they were unable to perform the play, instead giving impromptu performances.  For full details of the event including the Gazette right-ups see

“Logandene, Bennetts End near Leverstock Green

Messrs Board & Patey
(having sold the residence)

Are favoured with instructions from Lynn Harding Esquire, the sell by Auction on the premises, on FRIDAY MAY 23rd at 1 o’clock precisely, the well- Made surplus FURNITURE and effects Including; handsome 4 ft 6” brass bed Stead, whit enamelled and iron French Bedstead, box spring & wire mattress, Overlays, bedroom furniture, oak frame Chairs, mahogany, oak & occasional other Tables, box ottoman, mahogany Bureau, burr walnut card table, walnut Hall stand, kitchen effects, Jersey & Shorthorn cows, two heifer, two pigs, a Pony, (14 hands) Governess car, harness, Float spring cart, horse roller, milk churns, Separator, refrigerator, chaff cutter, grind-stone, ladders, pig trough, benches, saws, Vice, water pump & hose, chicken coup, Gents Sunbeam cycle, ladies Humber cycle, Clamp of manure, 2 hives of bees, a two- Seater all weather English body motor car, and a quantity of useful effects.

On view morning of sale, Catalogue at the residence of AJ Adams Esq., solicitor Hemel Hempstead ..........
The house was still shown standing in its grounds, together with The Dells, on the OS map of 1968.  It was not many years after this that both houses were demolished and estates of modern houses built in their stead.  Strangely however, the name was retained and used for a care home off Bennetts End Road, some distance from the original site.
Click to link to principle LG Chronicle web pages.

Leverstock Green ChronicleMaplinks page (for large scale and old maps of the area.)

20th Century Leverstock GreenGlossary
Add this page to your favorites.
Tell a friend about this page